Monday, September 22, 2008

What happened to my chomp?

Was working on a perl script for work today (a pretty ugly behemoth of a script at this point) and I kept getting weird behavior when printing some debug output. chomp() seemed like it had gone completely useless. Now if I was Toben, I would have started stomping around my office complaining about how broken perl was (I wish I could do that). However, I'm all too familiar with my propensity for shooting myself in the foot when writing perl code. And, as it turned out, setting $/ to a string naturally results in a useless chomp(). Although the perl programming book was kind enough to point out the error of my ways and that I could set $/ locally in a loop to get it back to it's normal behavior. Cool.

But the real question is: where were you Ren when I needed you?

1 comment:

Ren said...

Well, I don't know *when* it was, but I was probably beating Toben at racquetball.