Thursday, May 22, 2008

iotop ....

I was suffering from the problem described here (before I knew this bug was open and that it was a known issue) so I was looking for ways to monitor disk usage per program. I'd searched like crazy on google, searching for every keyword I could think of. I never found a prebuilt program that would monitor I/O usage per process. Then almost by accident I bumped into 'iotop' (perhaps I should have just guessed that there might be something with this name that would do what I wanted) and it was exactly what I wanted. It does 'top' like display of per-process I/O usage. Awesome!

Google rocks; just searched on "fsync mozilla bug" and the first link Google returned was a link to the aforementioned bug in the mozilla bugzilla. Nice.

I'm having another mozilla problem in FF 3.0: when I highlight text in Firefox, something similar to right-click menu opens up automatically, so I can't control-c to copy (have to hit escape first). Wonder if this is an extension I installed and forgot about?

Celtics lost at home tonight. Total downer. At least Ray Allen played well.

UPDATE: as soon as I was thinking it might be an extension, realized instantly what it might be (Auto Context); it really does the wrong thing for power users who like to use the keyboard. Once you select text, it kicks open a pop-dialog box with choices, and you can't do anything else until you dismiss that dialog. Royal pain. Anyway, it's disabled now.

No comments: