Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Back to work ...

It's busier again at work. Already picked up two new calls today in a couple of hours. Hoping to spend some time learning some more java/jndi programming, but we'll see.

I have mixed feelings about writing a blog. It's a bit weird how most blogs are written (and I've always noticed this, but it's a bit more acute when I started writing more in mine): who is the target audience for a blog? Most of them are written like a reporter would write about someone else's life (including mine). You are like a news reporter, reporting on your own life, but in the third person. Whenever I meet people who talk or write about themselves in the third person, I instinctively feel that they are unwell.

The most obvious benefit, at least on the surface, is to provide details about your life to family and friends. However, you need to careful about the kinds of details provided in a blog, since they are publicly visible (so it's not clear it really provide the benefit mentioned above).

Despite these misgivings, I think there is value in writing about and reviewing the activities in one's life, even at the somewhat surface level that occurs in a blog. So I think I'll keep doing this (even though no one will read it).

No comments: