Thursday, December 24, 2009

Closed academic communities ...

I've been reading a lot of Kierkegaard again lately. Right now, I'm particularly interested in the relationship between Hegel, Kierkegaard and how Kierkegaard understands Hegel. I went searching Google to see what was online, and it quickly became clear that very few communities are as closed as academic communities. I kind of knew this already from my grad school days, but was surprised things haven't changed. If any knowledge and/or scholarly contribution desires to be free, it's philosophical contributions. But I could quickly become poor if I started buying all the articles I wanted to read on Kierkegaard. Typically, these articles go for $30 or $40 a pop. I could join a good library and get free access to many of these articles, but that would generally require being physically present in the library itself (ie Perry Castenada Library). In the academic communities themselves, most of the "free" philosophy online is quackery (and it's certainly true, most of the "free" stuff online is abysmally bad) and so to offer something free online probably smells of desparation.

No comments: