Saturday, October 18, 2008

Rescued ....

We had two power outages today at home. The second one was about 45 minutes long. The worst part was it zapped my master boot record on my mythtv Fedora 9 machine. When I tried to boot it just printed:

"GRUB"

and stopped. This normally would have caused a great deal of panic in the old days, since I used to believe this wasn't recoverable. However, this is actually pretty easy to fix. I had already recently created a Fedora 9 respin using jigdo. I burned that and booted the computer in rescue mode.

Then did:

chroot /mnt/sysimage

and then tried to do:

grub-install

but it gave me:

"does not have any corresponding BIOS drive"

grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

Took a long time but eventually worked.

Next, started up grub and did:

root( hd0,1 )

setup( hd0 )

Everything worked, and I was able to boot ok!

1 comment:

whall said...

Are you sure the computer wasn't just letting you know it was hungry?